Sunday, April 28, 2013

Redfish Rumble

   This past Saturday was the Bayou Coast Kayak Fishing Club's Redfish Rumble. This is one of the stops out of five for Angler of The Year at the end. The Redfish Rumble is a fun format for any angler, novice or pro. Get in your kayak in Plaquemines Parish and go catch five redfish between 16"- 27". Easy right?????

   My day started off great but worried. As many know I have four children at home (all boys and my world) and you always get some kind of stomach bug, fever, or some odd thing that the doctors like to name these days. I pull up to the Magnolia Discount Gas Station to meet my friend at about 3:30am to fuel up, grab some Power Ade, and some good ole Crispy Crunchy Chicken for the day. Now coffee is my weakness and I always like to start off my trip with a nice big cup of coffee to relax in the kayak and enjoy the morning. Not this morning, stomach was killing me and I did not push my limits, especially in my kayak.

   Jason and I make our venture down to Lake Hermitage to see what our Sportsman's Paradise had to offer us today. We waited for the legal fishing time and ventured on out to the marsh. As we made our way out you could hear some crashing of  reds feeding in the dark so our hearts got pumping. Jason made his way around one point and I started working a shoreline that looked productive out the wind. I am glad I made this move! Once the sun started peeking out the reds were visible crashing bait and tailing. Of all days my Gopro camera was dead, don't get me started on that issue! These reds were of hefty size and feeding on mullet and shrimp. It is a sight to see a shrimp dancing across the water trying to evade a red and then just get crashed!these are the kind of days a red fisherman just loves to have, big feeding reds!

  I had three lures prepared that would be productive today. Texas Tackle Factory Lil Dummy topwater in black, Texas Tackle Factory Shiney Hiney with Chartreuse Shrimp body, and a gold spoon. Where the grass was thick the spoon would be the ticket, along the edges of the grass and points the topwater or shrimp was on the menu. Everyone knows that I am a topwater fanatic and if I can I will throw it all day at anything, just not today. Most of the big reds were deep in the grass and crashing small shrimp on top the grass. To get to these brutes I would either drag my shrimp over the grass or the spoon, both of these lures were very productive. The topwater was productive near the grass but plenty grass would be picked up if got close.

  Lets get to the fun part!! I start working these reds and see one tailing that looks of hefty size. I throw out the shrimp and drag it over and he bull dozes over and slams this thing! I get him over to the net and give him a quick measure and he is a perfect tourney red, 26 1/2" and fat! Now I am hyped up to say the least. I move some as this red made plenty noise and spooked other fish. This area would stay productive throughout the morning though. I see some more action ahead where a red is deep in the grass feeding and knew I needed the spoon for this guy. I cast at him a couple times and he would swirl it and check it out but no luck. Finally after the third try he inhales the spoon and the fight is on. After dragging him out the grass and him getting me soaked splashing I put another red over 26" in the bag. Time to move again...... As I paddle along I see some nervous water on the outside of the grass and instinct of topwater popped in my hand!! I cast that dummy out there and within 3' of the walk the dog this red comes at it like a torpedo and just blows it up!! He puts up a good fight and he checks out about 24"-25". Now it gets ugly.. I start fishing deep in the ponds as all the big reds started moving in deep and I had to chase them. One problem, tons of grass. I knew now I needed weedless and the only thing I had was the spoon and Shiney Hiney. The Shiney Hiney was not too weedless so it would be majority spoon feeding. I make hook ups over and over but cannot get a fish to stay glued to the spoon. I am a nervous wreck as I have three great fish and now frustrated as the fish are there just can't get them to the darn net. Finally, I get another good solid red and move back to the outside looking for my last fish. Everything I threw would be small reds. They were beautiful in color and had plenty spots but undersized. By now the sun was high in the sky and it was time to head to the weighin.

  We had 92 people sign up for the event this year and I knew with just four fish there was not a chance of getting in the top 5. I was really surprised though with the weight I had pulled me into 6th place with 4 fish. Just if I could have landed number 5. Oh well, next time it is. This tournament really helped my standings for Angler of the Year as I am now in 2nd place with my points from the last 2 tournaments. The next event is Trout Challenge on Big Lake!

  No pictures this go around crew, sorry!!!

2 comments: